Friday, March 22, 2013

Zinger



My intention in this artwork is to get the reflection to be as real as possible. I wanted to put a diagonal into the painting to direct your attention to my own reflection taking a picture of the set-up. I accomplished or attempted to accomplish this by starting with the main shapes. I filled those in first and then went back for detail. I didn't actually put too much detail into it though. My painting is about reflection mainly. The most difficult challenge I faced was all the reflections in the toaster. I'm not positive I met the challenge though. To me it doesn't look too relflective or real. Well, they say "You're your own worst critic." I have to realize that this pretty good for my very first painting of a reflective object and I will get better with practice. The white creamer is pointed to my reflection, which is where it really works in this painting. Some things I have learned is to take you're time to really see all the different shapes. You have to paint each individual shape correctly without looking at the set-up in general and it will turn out really well. You have to force your mind to not recognize the actaul object and instead just think of the set-up as multiple and simple shapes. My mentor is Henry Stinson, who painted his own reflection in a toster, which gave me the idea. If I had a do-over I would take more of my time to get as much detail as possible and make the painting look smoother. I love the white creamer and slathering paint on, but when I paint something that is reflective I will make it look smoother and put more detail into it. My favorite part is the creamer because I've gotten use to painting white objects. You can cake on as much paint as you want and it still looks good.  

1 comment:

  1. I can really tell how much your learned by what you have told me in your artist statement. I think you tackled a challenging subject and pulled it off. You are right, the creamer is done well and it is fun to push painr around

    ReplyDelete